6 Effective Communication Strategies
When you love someone with a hearing loss it's not always easy to know how to help them. Here's a start!
- Get their attention first.
- Decrease background noise as much as possible. Background noise will mask critical speech sounds.
- Don’t shout! Volume is not the problem, it’s clarity! Shouting right into the ear is also NOT helpful.
- Moderately slow your rate of speech. You’ll enunciate more clearly and your loved one will be better able to hear the gaps between words, facilitating their understanding you.
- Visual cues: lips, gestures, facial expressions help fill in the gaps! Decrease distance so they have access to all these cues! Don’t walk in the opposite direction while speaking.
- When you need to repeat something, say it in a different way.